Benefits of Organic High Oleic Sunflower Oil
Posted on July 6, 2012
GMO-Free and Certified Organic Expeller-Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil is the near perfect oil for salad dressings. It is simply better. That’s the reason we use it in simply delicious Salad Girl Organic Salad Dressings. Here are five convincing reasons why:
1. Organic Expeller-Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil is the highest in monosaturates. After years of traditional selective breeding, the natural sunflower seeds produce oil with a high level of monosaturates (80% – even higher than olive oil) and a delightful bouquet! Unlike ordinary oils, which contain relatively high levels of undesirable polyunsaturates, high oleic sunflower oil is a high monosaturated oil with low levels of both saturated and polyunsaturated fats. High oleic sunflower oil is naturally stable and has a high resistance to turning rancid. It has the highest monosaturated oleic acid content (80%) of any commercially available cooking/salad oil, including olive oil! It has the highest stability of any commercially available oil that is low in saturated fat. This means salad dressings formulated with high oleic sunflower oil taste better, stay fresh longer and are better for you.
2. Organic Expeller-Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil has no trans-fatty acids. Organic Expeller-Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil contains no linolenic acid and has only 5% linoleic acid. These 2 fatty acids make up the main components of polyunsaturated fatty acids. Trans-fatty acids are created in the pressing and refining processes from linolenic acid. Since high oleic sunflower oil contains no linolenic acid, it does not form trans-fatty acids. Trans-fatty acids are the main source of free radicals in the body. Free radicals damage the telomeres on the ends of our DNA strands. It is believed that this process contributes heavily to the aging process. High oleic sunflower oil is the only oil that does not contain linolenic acid.
3. Organic Expeller-Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil tastes better, longer. Polyunsaturated fatty acids are natural oxidizers. The low percentage of polyunsaturated fatty acids in high oleic sunflower oil means that it will not self oxidize like other vegetable oils. Organic Expeller-Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil has twice the shelf life of other oils and even has a longer shelf life than other high oleic oils, because of its lack of linolenic acid.
Today, the conscious shopper is faced with a conundrum. They want to have minimal processing, so certainly hydrogenation is not acceptable. They also consider “natural” to mean expeller-pressed oil, so high refinement is not an option. They want certified organic and GMO-free ingredients in their foods. They do not want trans-fatty acids. What they face with these requirements is the lack of shelf-stability in conventional oils often offered in this class of trade. This creates a market for high-stability oils made without hydrogenation and commercial refining. Organic Expeller-Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil becomes the clear choice for discerning shoppers.
4. Organic Expeller-Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil is better for you. The increased consumer interest in Organic Expeller-Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil has been spurred by dietary recommendations favoring high monounsaturates, low saturates, and stable alternatives to hydrogenated oils. Some studies indicate that a moderately low fat diet with a high oleic acid content lowers serum cholesterol and the risk of coronary heart disease. This is because high oleic sunflower oil promotes HDL lipid production. Trans-fatty acids decrease the HDL lipids in the body. Eliminating oils and fats that contain trans-fatty acids promotes a higher level of HDL in the body. Unlike other oils, high oleic sunflower oil has no trans-fatty acids and is also naturally high in Vitamin E.
5. Organic Expeller-Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil is a superior culinary oil. There is yet another culinary reason that Organic Expeller-Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil is the near perfect oil for salad dressings. You may have noticed that many “natural” dressings today appear gummy, especially when refrigerated. It is not necessarily the gums added to the product for suspension that produce this effect. It is most often the inherent gums found in may of the popular oils such as canola found in so many commercial dressings today. The advantage of Organic Expeller-Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil is that it is pure with fewer inherent gums and remains clear and pours smooth, even when refrigerated.
In salad dressing recipes, the oil is the number one ingredient. What kind of oil you put on your salads really matters. Organic Expeller-Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil is better for your health. Organic Expeller-Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil is better for the taste. Organic Expeller-Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil is better for shelf life. Organic Expeller-Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil is better for the environment. That’s why we chose it for our Salad Girl Organic Salad Dressings.
Article by Pam Powell
National Sunflower Association, http://www.sunflowernsa.com
Eating Made Easy website with nutritionist Amelia Winslow, http://www.eating-made-easy.com